The concept of the 1970’s curator David Rodgers, ‘The Friends of Wolverhampton Art Gallery & Museums’ is a registered charity – number 509278. At the outset David encouraged his friends and acquaintances to raise funds, by holding cheese and wine parties and other similar events in their own homes. The funds raised were used to help the Art Gallery start to build a collection of British and American pop art, and with his foresight, inspiration and enthusiasm the Gallery has been able to form a collection that is now internationally renowned.
We remain a small friendly charity, whose members cross all levels of the local community, including some artists. We welcome all new members and our group is always happy to share knowledge should it be required.
Our aim is to support, assist and promote Wolverhampton Art Gallery & Museums, encouraging our members and the general public to utilise the services they provide.
Whilst we are always delighted to receive donations or bequests, we currently raise funds via our member’s annual subscription and our optional: 5 day annual holiday, day trips and talks.
The benefits of becoming a Friend – you will have the opportunity if you wish to:
- Make new friends and meet like-minded people in a social setting,
- Visit other collections on our coach trips to places of interest, large towns and cities,
- Enjoy our 5 day annual holiday,
- Receive regular newsletters via the post (10 per year),
- Receive invitations to private viewings of exhibitions,
- Attend our popular art lectures held lunchtime or evenings at Bantock House, followed by a buffet with wine.
- Become an advocate for Friends of the Art Gallery & Museums.
Our charity has no paid employees. The President, Chairman and Committee are all volunteers mindful of the current economic climate. We are committed to giving our members good value for money and work hard to provide a varied and interesting programme at competitive prices. By becoming a Friend you will also play your part in supporting the City’s art collections and adding to them for future generations.
The annual membership fee of £10 single and £15 family has been fixed for over seven years and can be given as a gift to a family member, friend or colleague.
As a member of Friends, your contribution helps to add some important artworks to the city’s collections. So far, the Friends have helped purchase many artworks including:
- Campbells Soup (1968) by Andy Warhol
- Isabella Lee and Child (1759) by Joseph Highmore
- Chestnuts (c.1935-45) by Stanley Spencer
- Avebury (1937) by Paul Nash
- The Creation (Adam and Eve) (c.1869-1939) by George Spencer Watson
- Untitled by Julie McNally Hayes
- Donuts, Coffee Cups & Comics (1962) by Jann Haworth
- Marilyn by Pauline Boty
To join The Friends of Wolverhampton Art Gallery and Museums please contact:
c/o Wolverhampton Art Gallery
Tel : 01902 552055
Email: [email protected]
Or download and complete The Friends membership form below:
Payments can be made by cheque payable to: ‘The Friends of Wolverhampton Art Gallery & Museums’ or by Direct Debit.
For further information please contact Friends membership secretary or email: [email protected]